Immigration to Canada - 4 Main Ways

in Canada
To apply for immigration to Canada, you can use four main ways, three permanent redidence classes and one temporart class. If you intend to immigrate to Canada, what you should do is to consider which of the following classes you are in because it will be useful for your application.
Skilled Worker (a.k.a Points System)
This is the most popular class. To be eligible for this class, you must have at least one year of continuous full-time experience in an eligible NOC (National Occupational Classification) occupation.

You as the applicant will be awarded points for your age, education, experience in the work place and your English and/or French language ability. You may also be awarded further points for 'adaptability' factors such as :

Your partner's qualifications

If you or your partner have studied for at least 2 years in Canada
If you have family in the form of a parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, sister, brother, niece, nephew, child or grandchild in Canada
If you are currently working in Canada or have arranged employment, points may also be allocated to you for this.

If you have qualifying relatives in Canada who are willing and eligible to sponsor you, there is also the Family Visa option. There are guidelines around 'sponsor' eligibility, for instance the person must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. To be classed as 'Family' the person must be either : a spouse, common-law or conjugal partners; dependent child, parent or grandparent; an orphaned brother, sister, niece, nephew or grandchild (under 19).


This option is sub categorized into three sections; self-employed, entrepreneur and investor.
The Self-employed immigration to Canada class is limited to farmers and applicants who will be of cultural, artistic or sporting value to the country.


For immigration to Canada under the Entrepreneur class, you must have past 'business experience' in a 'qualifying business' for a specified period. Under current regulations, applicants must also possess a net worth of at least $300,000 in Canadian currency.


Applicants wanting to immigrate to Canada under the Investor Class must possess a total net worth of at least $800,000 in Canadian currency and invest $400,000 (Canada) of this amount with the Canadian Receiver General for 5 years.


Temporary Visas
Temporary Visas come in the form of work permits or student visas.


You may be eligible to apply for a work permit if you are offered a job by a Canadian employer which cannot be filled by a Canadian. The employer must satisfy the Human Resources Department of Canada's labour market assessment and then you can apply for a work permit, which will be issued for the duration of your employment contract.


If you are unsure of which class you should apply for immigration to Canada under, an immigration consultant will be able to provide further information on each class and also assist with the application process.

Author Box
Graeme Fraser has 1 articles online

Migration Bureau - making immigration to Canada easier. The Migration Bureau is one of the world's largest full service, officially-recognized immigration and job search agencies, with 6 offices worldwide.

Add New Comment

Immigration to Canada - 4 Main Ways

Log in or Create Account to post a comment.
Security Code: Captcha Image Change Image
This article was published on 2010/04/03